Saturday, February 4, 2012

New Adventures

Isn't it funny the road that life takes us on to lead us right where we should be? I graduated from college in 2004 with my Bachelor's degree in psychology and went straight into the governmental work force. I did 3 years of work in the County Managers Office and then another 3 working in the courthouse for the District Court Judges handling Family Court. I moved up the ladder...I made a lot of money...I had a lot of high up connections...I was MISERABLE!!!! I wasn't happy with the people I worked with or the job that I was doing. I wasn't making a difference...I wasn't helping anyone.

After a lot of contemplating, praying and struggling, I made the decision to leave the governmental corporate ladder and try to discover what my true calling was...what can I do that will make a difference with my life? I was able to leave my job due my home-based business, Thirty-One, in which I am a Senior Director. I was able to work from home which was wonderful and gave me the time I needed to recharge my batteries and begin to find my path. I thought maybe that was my destiny, but soon I got bored being at home. My husband and I don't have kids, and there's only so much housekeeping you can do during the day. I decided I wanted to look for a part-time job...something to get me out of the house, but nothing too crazy! I remembered when I first got out of college, I was a substitute teacher for a few months and loved that job! So I went to our local high school and talked to the principal about maybe subbing a few days here and there. He signed off on my paperwork and told me they would call me when they had some work. I was happy...I could make my own schedule and work when and where I wanted (there are many schools in our school system)...it was perfect!

However, my whenever, wherever plan did not go quite according to plan. I got a call a week later from the principal saying he had a substitute job for me, but he needed to talk to me about it first to make sure I would be interested. I was confused at first...why wouldn't I want some work...I signed up for that! He told me that the job would be for a full-time substitute role, as the teacher had quit the first day of school (not sounding great so far) and the job was in the EC (exceptional children) department (now I was scared!) But I said of course I would take it thinking that it would be no more than just a few weeks and then I would go back to "my plan" and continue searching for my new role in the work force. Little did I know that I was about to find my passion!
I worked with the Inclusion Students in the high school, going with them to their classes and teaching a Curriculum Support class each day. I was so unsure of myself, but amazingly I took to this job so naturally. Eventually, the position became filled by an old classmate of mine, but it was too late...I knew my life had been changed! I had discovered the one thing I never thought it would do but am now so passionate about...teaching. But not just becoming a teacher...I want to teach EC.

I am now in the process of studying to take the Praxis II for Special Education for Mild to Moderate disabilities and am hoping by August to get hired on as a Lateral Entry teacher in our school system! I love the job, I love the kids, and I love love LOVE knowing that I am truly making a difference and helping these awesome kids!!

I wanted to create this blog as a way to post my journey to becoming a teacher, as well as the many adventures I will encounter along the way! I am so excited for this new avenue in my life and hope to be able to share my ideas, interesting tidbits and crazy mishaps in this process of my new life!

4 comments:

  1. Amanda,

    I just found your blog and am your newest follower!

    I love how God works in our lives to put us exactly where He needs us! I also believe each kiddo in my room was put there by Him for a reason. That always helps me to remember that my job is so much more than just teaching a curriculum...I might be touching a heart and a life.

    I am excited to follow you on your journey and would love for you to come visit me if you get the chance!

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Heather! I'm so excited for this new chapter in my life and am so thankful to God for turning the pages for me! Thanks for following and I have added your blog to follow too! I'm hoping to get some much needed inspiration, advice and ideas from you seasoned professionals!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your new adventure!! Can't wait to hear more!

    Sara
    Kindergarten Is A Hoot

    ReplyDelete